Re: [at-l] hiking

>Found the Platyus 2 liter bladder very helpful for staying hydrated, didn't
>even have it in a special bag, just packed it on top of my raincoat at the
>top of the pack.

I agree, they are very good when the area is above freezing.  I put the
bladder between the top of the bag and the "top bag" that slips over
the top. The close-up string holds the bags steady and the pull strap
across the top of the lower bag goes over the top and the tube swings under
the arm. I have an internal backpack.

 You must trust your filter.  I pumped
>from a rather tannin ridden source the first night out, water was still
>brown after filtering, did my filter (Sweetwater) do it's job?

Yes, you will not get out the color of the tannin.  If you are concerned,
drop in an iodine tablet but your filter might have that feature built in?

What I do if i get iron tasting water from a pump or poor tasting water
is just throw in a pinch of Crystal Light... yum, tastes strawberry or
what ever flavor.  Good in a "pinch" as a "pinch" is all you need.

 How can I
>test this (other than waiting for the results of contaminated water to
>manifest them selves...it's about that time now)?

The filter will clog first.

>I also thrived on the two walking sticks, knees and legs were not aching
>badly, even after a long day under a heavy pack.  Too bad the sticks make
>so much noise on the rocks.

I change the end of mine. In the winter, I have the "pole and snow disc" in
the non-winter, I use the rubber tiger paws, they don't slip on rocks or make
noise and act like a little shock absorber.

>Speaking of rocks, they were great. the geology of he reigon is lying there
>for all to see. Layered sandstone capped by other layers of puddingstone
>(conglomerate rock, once sand/mud with smaller rocks imbedded in it).

The typical name is called " Pudding Rock "  if you every go by the
NJ/NY state line on the AT, enjoy and interesting side trail and
see great looking pudding rock. Take the AT to State Line (blue) and around
surprise lake ( yellow ) a great day hike, scrubby pine, and terrific
views of the lake below and Sterling Forest :)

-Bear Bells
http://members.aol.com/hikenet