[at-l] bug bites

Is it possible to become desensitized to a specific bug bite? If so, how?
Can a person become most sensitive to a bite that previously was not a
problem to him?

The deer flies caused several uncomfortable bites during our last hike. I
think they were deer flies. Those bugs were about 1/8 inch long, blackish
in color and their wings swept back along their bodies.

I don't ever recall being so bothered by their bites before. But this
time every bite developed into a welt the size of a dime, a few were
nickel sized. After about a day a blister developed on the welt. I never
felt sick or had any trouble breathing. I've heard stories of folks who
are very sensitive to bee stings becoming ill to the point of vomiting
and swelling such that they could hardly breath. Nothing this severe
happened to me, however, my hands swelled enough that I had to remove my
wedding band and my watch. Other than the itchiness, my main concern was
that one of the blisters would get infected. Any time one broke open I
put some antibiotic ointment on it and had no problems.

I don't mean to gross anyone out with this description, I hope I have
not. But I would appreciate any and all input so maybe I wont have to go
through this again. I aim to use my tried and true Cutter insect
repellent from now on. For what every reason, the repellent we used on
this hike was ineffective. Thanks,   Hopeful