Re: [at-l] hiking

cosmo catalano, jr. wrote:
You must trust your filter.  I pumped  from a rather tannin ridden
source the first night out, water was still  brown after filtering, did
my filter (Sweetwater) do it's job?  How can I > test this (other than
waiting for the results of contaminated water to  manifest them
selves...it's about that time now)?

The First Need filter used to come with a small container of blue food
coloring. To test the filter, put a couple of drops of food coloring in
a bowl of water.  Then pump.  If the water comes out clear the filter is
okay, if it comes out blue, then the filter is not doing its job.  It is
a good idea to test your filter every so often, as otherwise it can be
broken and you won't know it until you get sick.  Food dye is cheap, and
available in the grocery.
Ginny