Re: [at-l] hello

Valerie Henderson wrote:

> So, having said that, I've got some questions (the first of many, I'm sure).
>
> 1.  Sleeping bag recommendations:  I'm pretty tall (about 5'11" or so)
> and I don't really like mummy bags too much.  I really like bags that I
> can curl up in and pull my knees up.  Any ideas or suggestions about
> tall, extra wide bags?

I am 6'1" but I weigh over 250#.  A standard bag fits me like a glove (with
no empty space).  My bag is a mummy but is wider at the top so I can turn
over without the bag going with me.  If you look at the specs of the various
bags in a catalogue (ie: Campmor) you will notice that the dimensions have 3
numbers.  they are length, width at the shoulders and width at the feet.
The shoulder widths run from 28" to about 36".  Of course the wider bags for
a given temp range are heavier but a comfortable sleep is usually worth the
extra weight IMHO.  If you can get to an outfitter that has a good selection
you should take the bag and spread it out on the floor and get in, (don't be
embarassed).  If they have a display of tents set up you should also do this
in the tent you are interested in, to see if you can do it.  Often a 2 person
tent is so small that a tall or big person feels like they are in a #10
envelope.

Happy trails

Rich