Re: [at-l] Glucosamine sulfate, what is this?

middaugh@best.com wrote:

> What is this glucosamin (sp?) stuff some of you guys are talking
> about?
>
> Catherine

I've posted to this list before concerning glucosimine sulfate and
chondroitin sulfate, so those who have read it, please delete now.

Both of these wild sounding substances are natural supplements available
in most health food stores such as GNC. Chondroitin has been used on
horses for years for arthritic joints. Many horse owners swear by the
stuff (don't know about the horses). Glucosimine sulfate has been used
by a lesser extent. I became aware of these supplements through reading
"The Arthritis Cure", written by an M.D. He was an avid runner, tore
cartilage and subsequently developed arthritis in both knees. His
orthopedic surgeon told him he couldn't run anymore. He wouldn't take no
for an answer and started doing research. He read about both of these
substances and found that they had used the combination in Europe with
success. He cites a couple of double blind, placebo/control studies
which showed significant improvement in arthritic pain. He tried the
regimen himself with good result. He started using it on his patients
and most showed improvement.

He wrote the book cited above and because he used the word, "cure", he
was roundly criticized by the  medical community. He appeared on Good
Morning America and the Today Show and that really fired the Docs' up.

Having the same problem as the good doctor with my knees, being an avid
cyclist and hiker, and being told by my orthopedic surgeon to give up
hiking, I became...desperate. So, you try things. I read the book and
followed the instructions. This was after suffering 18 months of
arthritis pain and two arthroscopic surgeries on my knees. I had also
been using braces, Lekies, ibuprofen, and prescription
anti-inflammatories,  you name it, to get relief. I had also started a
knee strengthening weight program at the gym with some good results but
the pain was still there.

Almost four weeks after starting the recommended dosages of glucosimine
sulfate and chondroitin sulfate, I started getting some noticeable
relief. I was completely off all painkillers for that time. The "start
up" pain was gone after six weeks and after 8 weeks, I was totally pain
free. I've done 3, 60 mile hikes since that time with absolutely no
pain. On the last hike, I didn't even take my knee braces or ace
bandages. I did two killer downhill into NOC and Fontana and if those
don't cause knee pain, no downhill will. They didn't.

My orthopedic surgeon is a personal friend (we cycle together), and he
was extremely skeptical for quite some time. I must now say that his
skepticism is waning and he's gone as far as suggesting this treatment
to people in his practice. Of course he tells them that he's only seen
anecdotal results from a few people he knows (me) but that the
substances are pretty harmless and he knows of no long term problems.

I've cut my dosages way down and am in a maintenance mode. I have still
not experienced any problems. Is my arthritis cured? I don't know. But,
I do know that I don't have any more pain. The book says that this
treatment doesn't work for everyone. I had (have) osteoarthritis in my
knees. I don't think this works for rheumatoid arthritis or in severe
cases of osteo.

I'm not recommending that you try this stuff, only telling you what it
did for me. Be sure and ask your doctor before you try it. I'm not aware
of any long term negative side effects (maybe Mad Cow disease???) but
you never know. My doctor says it is harmless. Did you want to know all
of this? LOL.
--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com