RE: [at-l] Q6 - Trail Mice

> ----------

< snip >
>   Besides hanging packs and other gear, what strategies (if any) do you
> use to combat AT mice?  What seems to be the most effective?
< snip >

While mice are pretty much everywhere, the availability of food in shelters
results in a much higher concentration of these pests at these locations.
In addition, shelter mice seem to learn to be much bolder in their search
for food than their cousins in the forest.  My experience is that mouse
activity falls dramatically as distance from shelters increases.

So, my advice is to avoid mice, and all of the problems they cause, avoid
sleeping in shelters.

I've used shelters pretty frequently in the past, but I've recently
developed a 'no shelters' attitude.  This actually has relatively little to
do with mice and hantavirus.  It has more to do with a feeling that the
essence of backpacking is that you bring what you need in the woods on your
back, and in your head.  The challenge of developing the skills to deal with
whatever nature deals out, using only what you've brought with you, is part
of the fun.

But, if by chance you do find yourself spending a night in a shelter, hang
all your food, open all zippers on your pack, and hope for the best.

Peter