RE: [at-l] snake phobia

> I heard today from a fella that saw a guy in the medical clinic that had
> gotten bit by a black snake. Hand all swollen, sicker than a dog. The dr.
> told him the black snakes cross with rattlers, therefore he had some venom
> in his system.  Anyone ever heard of snakes cross breeding?
>
> Highlander
>
> ----------

I have not heard of snakes crossbreeding but I have seen several, (in PA),
solid black rattlers.
Once I even took some pictures of a beautiful black rattler.  A conservation
officer class called me over to have a look.  I assure you that there are
black rattlers.  They are nowhere as big as the black snakes that you will
encounter sunning themselves on the trail.

Just watch where you put your hands and when encountering a log across a
trail, rap the other side of the log with your walking stick before stepping
across.  Rattlers, as well as others, often lie near a log to catch small
animals.