Re: [at-l] Permits to thru hike?

In a message dated 6/3/98, 4:34:10 PM, dopp@ncfrpc.org writes:
<<  I think the US Forest service limits the number of daily permits for Mt.
Whitney to something like 1,500. >>

Actually, its 50 permits for overnight use, and 150 day onlys.  They are
already booked all the way thru October.  My soon to be ex is planning a trip
to climb Mt Whitney in August, and was very disappointed that permits are not
to be had.  But they can still go in on other trails, the permits are for the
main one that gets overused.  It will be a long hike in, but anyway . . . so,
if they only limit use on that one particular trail, and the other approaches
to Mt Whitney you don't need a permit for - maybe with over 2000 miles of AT,
we won't have to worry about that kind of overuse for a long time.  If it ever
got that bad, by whatever standards they choose to use, then I guess maybe
permits would make sense.  But I would hate to see that happen.  So lets ask
someone with their finger on the pulse of the hiking community and the AT -
Hey, Wingfoot - what's your take on this?  Is the AT heading towards
overcrowding and permits in the foreseeable future?

The Redhead
Ga > Me  00