[at-l] AT National Park?

HkrTrash@aol.com wrote:

> << Enforcement >>
>
> Personally, I don't believe this word has a place on the AT or in the
> backcountry.  It's why I don't usually backpack in the National Parks.  Let's
> leave it there and leave the AT a place of FREEDOM.
[clip]

This is my single biggest fear surrounding the "protection" of the AT corridor
by pulling in the government to buy up land. I know that the ATC did a bangup
job and everyone worked very hard to make the current configuration work, but
I predict that within 10 years we will see the Appalachain Trail National
Park, and all the local jurisdiction will disappear, there will be gates, and
rangers, and fees to thru-hike, day use permits, pack animal assisted trips
for the disabled, more $700,000 privies that are closed in the winter because
they don't work in the cold, steps and pavement, hand-rails, docents, etc...

This is one of the reasons I am so driven to thru-hike next year. I fear that
the AT experience will be greatly changed by government control. I also
believe that government control is not inevitable since the "trail was bought
by public funds."

We have already seen the filing of lawsuits for handicapped access in both
Georgia and Maine, by the fellow who wanted to hike last year with his llama.
He has stated that federal appeals will follow any negative results at the
state level.  Will he lose? Does the ADA extend to so called wilderness areas?

The thoughts darken my skies.  I need to go outside.

-Paddler