Re: [at-l] Permits to thru hike?

Jim Owen said:

>Keep in mind that even in the South there are less than 4000 thruhikers
>on the AT in any year while there are 4,000,000 AT 'visitors' every
>year.

I never know what statistics to believe. I kept hearing stories in '97 of
3000 thruhikers in Georgia alone, or more. There's an old soldier's saying,
"He that flies counts every foe twice." Now, how does that apply to
thruhiking? Here's what the ATC's official statistics showed, as of about a
month ago:

--Rhymin' Worm

>* Approximate number of thruhikers starting at Springer or Katahdin; number
>for each.
Springer--' 97 about 1500-1600 (1250 counted at Neels Gap)
	   '96 about 1500 (1200 counted at Neels Gap)

Katahdin--'97 Baxter's official register at Daicey Pond was 72; however, due
to late, heavy snows, Katahdin didn't open until about June 15, and a
number of southbound thru-hikers started at Abol Bridge, or started
at some point south, hiked north, and then resumed hiking southbound.

	'96 99 signed in at Daicey Pond (but I remember hearing from
another source that 300 started). Since 100 made it to Harpers Ferry, the
higher
number has to be correct.

>* Number of thruhikers who came through Harpers Ferry.
Northbound - '97 585
	           '96 - 540

Southbound - '97 - 80
	          '96 - 100

>* Number of thruhikers who reported completion of a thruhike.
'97 - 286 northbound (but reports are still coming in at the rate of
about 1 a week), 35 southbound

>If you have the same numbers for the previous year, 1996, by way of
>comparison, I'd also appreciate it.
'96 - 292 northbound, 27 southbound