Re: [at-l] paddler's tent

cosmo catalano, jr. wrote:

> Paddler--
>         What kind of tent to you have that you keep the ground cloth on the
> inside?  I have  a Clip Flashlight, and always the rain dripping off the
> fly onto the tent's sides near the bottom manages to seep between my
> exterior ground cloth and the underside of the tent, even though the ground
> cloth is cut smaller than the tent footprint.  I think the drops cling to
> the underside of the tent rather than dripping off.
>
> I think I'll try the interior groundcloth idea next time out.  Do you us a
> poly sheet or a nylon tarp?
[clip]

I do this on all my tents, but the tarps differ. On my AT trip I'm planning on
using a Clip Flashlight as well - at least so far.  I bought the tent last
summer and have given away the little custom groundcloth that clips on underneath.

I am currently using a piece of "blue tarp" (that's housewrap here in Maine)
that is cut to be 6 inches wider than the inside of the floor. It wraps up the
walls and covers my feet as well.  The Clip Flashlight is a bit shorter than I
would like it but it works. I have 16 nights in it so far - even used it in
deep snow this winter on two trips.

I am probably going to switch to Tyvek as material both for weight and
strength. I've never used nylon for this, but switched between tbe "blue tarp"
and heavy painter's tarps in the past.

-Paddler (GA>ME 99                             293 days and counting...)