Re: [at-l] Observations on the '98 Hiking Scene

At 12:47 AM 5/23/98 -0600, Hopeful wrote:
>I would like to look at trail magic from a different prospective.
..clipped..
>Once each year I go to Stecoah Gap to have my "birthday party." ..clip..
>My "party" is a chance for me to thumb my nose in the face of a very
>self-centered, greed-filled world. It is MY party but I give the presents
>to who ever happens by. It is a chance for me to "build my house by the
>side of the road and be a friend to man."

I've been reading about the AT for several years and have noted that
journals from recent years reflect a large increase in both the numbers of
people hiking the trail and the number of those who show up at road
crossings to provide assistance (trail magic). Your post makes it clear
that you throw your party for many of the same reasons that the hikers are
on the trail. The hikers are escaping from society or to simplicity
(depending on your point of view) and you are using the party to connect
with and share that experience as best you can. It's ironic that the two
can be seen as contradictory.

I too have dreamed for several years of a thru-hike but occasionally wonder
if I really want a hike of the sort that the AT has become. We all seem to
be retreating to the same places and our problems with each other come with
us. I think we will get out of the trail only what we bring to it and too
many can't let go of their baggage. I respect your party and your motives.
If I ever do a thru-hike and chance to pass Stecoah gap when it happening I
may accept a hot dog and whatever. If I'm not hungry I may just say HI! and
pass on by.

You started by apologizing for your words and I was reminded of the
FOREIGNER SUITE by Cat Stevens. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a 20
minute song to his beloved which he starts by saying (singing actually)
"There are no words that I can use because the meanings are left for you to
choose". Despite his doubts about his ability to express himself in terms
she will understand he proceeds to try anyway. That, and really listening
to each other, is the best any of us can do.

Saunterer