Re: [at-l] Observations on the '98 Hiking Scene

I would like to look at trail magic from a different prospective. But
first, let me say this is in no way meant to be a flame. We have had
enough of that. If my comments seem cross or harsh, please forgive me. I
have tried to write in such a way that will be kind because that is my
true intent. If I have failed, it is because I write poorly and not
because I have tried to stir up any controversy or hard feeling. Having
said all that I begin.

I am a section hiker and a thru hiker want-a-be, 2002 God willing. I have
to believe that the AT "belongs" to me as much as to the current and past
thru hikers. I contribute money and time to help maintain the AT. Last
year I spent 10 days on the Rocky Top trail crew.

In addition to being a want-a-be, I work for one of the largest companies
in America. It is in fact one of the largest companies in the world.
After trying to be a "good employee" for 20 years, I realized I was
literally killing my own self in the process. Greed is like fire in that
it is never satisfied. The more that is given to my company and many
others to be sure, the more that is wanted and expected. Stay with me,
this is actually going some where.

I am also involved in some "charitable" organizations. I should say that
I was. Politics. In my urban existence, I don't find a lot that I really
like. I have a good family life. I own a nice house, I like to dig in my
flowers and such.. But once I get in the car and head to work my life
takes a noticeable turn for the worse.

Once each year I go to Stecoah Gap to have my "birthday party." It isn't
a lavish deal. My wife and my kids (when they are able to come along)
help me put out hot dogs and such for any and all hikers that happen by.
If "hot dogs and such" is too general, I'll be glad to color between the
lines. My point is that we don't make this a steak cook out. Mainly
because I can't afford that.

My "party" is a chance for me to thumb my nose in the face of a very
self-centered, greed-filled world. It is MY party but I give the presents
to who ever happens by. It is a chance for me to "build my house by the
side of the road and be a friend to man." It is a few hours to return to
the generosity and hospitality that I remember from my rural southern
childhood. It is a wonderful oasis of humanity. At least that is what I
want it to be.

I do not kid nap hikers. I do not detain anyone who wishes to pass on by.
As yet, I haven't brought a weapon to the party to force feed at gun
point. I have reveled in the glad faces and expressions of thanks that
I've seen there. To my knowledge, I have not detracted from anyone's thru
hike.

I am now 51. By the time I was 21 I had become very aware that life is
short. Once I returned from the military I want to fill up my days before
life was over. I regret that I headed down the conventional roads that
got me into a job with all the trapping with which most of you are very
familiar. I thought that was the way to go but now I wish I had gone
another route.  Along the way, I began to see that I was making a big
mistake. Fortunately, I've begun to make major changes in my life. But I
now have arthritis. I do not know how bad it will get to be. I hike all I
can now. I stop often to soak up all I can. I get to the Trail and the
society of the Trail which I love so much as often as I can. I do this
because I may not be able to thru hike in 4 years. I can't go now because
of reasons that are my own.

I speak only for my own self. I don't know why some folks bring beer
busts or tail gate parties or whatever to the Trail. I leave that to you
all to determine. Before you judge all these folks, please remember that
everyone has there own hike to hike. Even us not-yet thru hikers. The
change that the AT brings to a person can start at any time not just when
the person takes the last official step and completes the whole AT. I'll
make a plea for individual responsibility. I will be responsible to be
generous but never try to "out do" any other trail angle. I'll ask that
those who wish not to partake of the trail magic simply say no thanks and
keep on hiking. Us trail angles will wish you well anyway. Let us not
become so focused on our version of what life should be like that we
misconstrue the intentions of others. I hope folks wont analyze the
fallout from another's actions solely within their own parameters. I
truly hope I have not hurt anyone's thru hike or sections hike. Based on
the comments left in my log book, my party was a God-sent to some hikers.
 So far, I have not seen anyone directing traffic on the AT. It looks to
me that a hiker can still go or stop as he pleases. When a hiker sees
some thing that he doesn't like, maybe my birthday party, I hope he will
just agree to disagree with me and we will part as trail friends.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.  Hopeful