Re: [at-l] Observations on the '98 Hiking Scene

.. I'll ask that those who wish not to partake of the trail magic simply
say no thanks and keep on hiking.

The above item was extracted from a longer msg posted on the at-1 forum.

My observation... The AT's great press and books are doing what one
expects. It brings
the masses to the AT.  It brings those looking for some unique experience
other then urban life.  It brings... people!  Some who look for a party, some
looking for something else... maybe friendship? or a sharing of an experience
for which they will never have the opportunity ... there as many unique reasons
as mosquitos.

The recommended approach on avoiding unwanted "trail magic" ..

... just keep on trucken... and I as sure in a few hundred feet that road
will be behind.

The major time that can get somewhat inconvenient is when the
whole shelter area is taken over for a beer bust party or the trail
is filled with large group herds.. but it's better than the subway!!

All's relative...

but in 2,000 miles, I'm sure there is plenty of time for solitude with
the exception of those high capacity, highly visited sites like mt
washington, et al..

hike your hike, there may be some inconviences to one's views along the way but
in the 2,000 miles I wonder how many "miles" actually have "herds".

-Tom