[at-l] What Goes & Very Disappointed

As to "Very Disappointed", I'm sorry he chose to leave the trail. But to
blame it on Bickering & Politics seems a bit absurd. Lots of people quit for
lots of reasons, and sometimes in the process like to blame others for the
decision. The fact that the trail is crowed isn't any great mystery. So it
should come as no surprise that people won't always get along.

However, there are remedies. If you don't like the company you keep, stay
away from them. Believe me it is quite possible to hike the entire AT
without staying in a single shelter or reading a single register. How many
times have I heard complaints about crowed shelters or bad bunk mates. Well
there only crowed because we use them If you don't use them, you won't care
if there're crowed. Or if you must stay in shelters find a different
strategy for hiking the trail. One that keeps you out of the main northbound
pack. The problem is everyone seems to want the AT to conform to their
particular point of view.

You've got a crowed trail. Accept the fact and learn to deal with it. If the
trail does not provide the kind of solitude you need, there are many equally
long trails that receive little if any use. The AT is NOT the only trail out
there.

As to registers, they are a reflection of the people that use the trail. If
you don't like them don't read them. I got bored with the nasty comments
last year so I quit reading them. However; I didn't prevent my 13 year old
son from reading them. There's certainly nothing in them he or any other
youngster doesn't hear at school or at the movies.

Personally I don't care for personal attacks, but some people choose to us
the registers as a means to vent frustrations. It may not be pretty, but
it's better than fist fights. I know I've vented a time or two at the ATC
for some dumb ___ relocation that made no sense.

I'm not really sure how we can expect people on the trail to act civilly if
we refuse to do so here.

Ron