Re: [at-l] Very Disappointed

In a message dated 98-05-11 21:42:50 EDT, dkohn@merlin.ebicom.net writes:

<< Maybe I have no right to speek up, being a lurker and all, but a person I
 was helping with his thru-hike (ie mail drops ect) just left the trail.

 One reason he stated to me was, unfortunatly, very simmilar to what is
 going on in this list right now: PETTY BICKERING and POLITICS! >>

A northbound hike is very much like the list on a social aspect, lots of
different people with lots of different ideas and very hard not to form an
opinion, with the usual result,  bickering.  Unless you're a total recluse,
which is very hard to be, hiking north, one time or another you're going to
get caught up in the pollitics.

If that's his main reason for leaving the trail and can overcome the others,
my sugestion is for him to chill for a month, flip to Maine and head south.
Not that I know from experience, but in my estimation a totaly different hike.

Don't know him, never seen him, but if he stops now, he's missing something
that shouldn't be influenced by others.

Sly