[at-l] shelter registers

This is an incident that I wrote about in the slackpack journal last
year, but did not go into as much detail.  It fits this discussion:

There was a fellow hiker last year that was writing some damning words in
the trail registers.  He was very unhappy with all of the "other" folks
on the trail, and how it was "affecting" his hike.  He didn't care for
day-hikers, weekend-hikers, section-hikers, slackpackers, blue-blazers,
or yellow-blazers, and felt that the only people that should be on the
trail, in the shelters, and writing in the registers, were pure
thru-hikers.  When I finally caught up to this character, i spoke with
him at length, indicating my displeasure with his displeasure.  He was
very attentive, and finally come to understand that we all have a place
on the trail.  What ultimately did get to him, though, was when I pointed
out that the many of  the registers are placed in the shelters by regular
folks, often young people, who will cherish them as life-long keepsakes,
and that his rantings and ravings have no place on the pages of such
treasured possessions.  He spent the next number of days writing
apologies and retractions in the shelter registers as he hiked north...

Now, wouldn't it be nice if WF and I could find some such common
ground...

pittsburgh