[at-l] Hiking without a pocketbook??

Now some of you might think I'm trying to be funny...but like Woodelf, I'm
trying to be a serious member of this list and this is a very pertinent
subject.

Yesterday I had a real dose of reality about some of the hardships I have to
prepare for if I'm to be a true hiker.  My sister and I decided to go out for
a Mother's day dinner (since none of our thankless children came to visit or
anything.)  Standing in line (because all restruants were packed with people
taking thier mother's out to dinner), I complained about the weight of my
pocketbook.  It currently weighs a little more than my youngest granddaughter,
but every time I try to lighten it up, everything in it is essential.  In
fact, whenever I travel, I am the one who can pull just about anything needed
from my purse.  Forgot your toothbrush?  No problem, Mom has an extra one in
her purse...band-aid?  who would be caught short?  Broke a nail?  Not to
worry, MOM has clippers, files and nail glue in...you guessed it...her purse.

So anyway, my sister suggested that I buy a fanny pack before our day hike on
the 19th.  Do you know how small those things are?  And then I got to thinking
about when The Redhead and I go on our section hike this summer.  What am I
going to do about things like hair brushes, curling irons (just kidding) make-
up (not kidding) bank cards, pictures of my grandkids for bragging when I meet
people on the trail, kleenex, (have to have especially when you might find
yourself without toilet paper), all that loose change for the phone (opps)
spare keys (even if I dump the ones I've been carrying for years and have no
idea what lock they go to, that will leave a bunch of keys), all my membership
cards like the Price Club and library (well you never know) and
just...well...STUFF.  I'm sure you ladies out there understand my questions.

Patty