Re: [at-l] red light info

>Gammara1 wrote:
>>
>> I've seen on a number of lights a red light or red hood- what exactly is
the
>> purpose of a red light vs regular clear light? jim

As Ginny said, red light is used by starwatchers and by other people
(astro-navigators, lookouts on board ships, etc...) who need to see at
night - because it does not cause your pupils to contract nearly as much,
making it easier to see into the dark when you look away from that which you
are illuminating. I don't know if animals can see it or not, but if they
can, I'd bet it would disturb them much less than bright white. Unless, of
course, it was Smokey the Bear, who was traumatized as a cub, and spent the
rest of his life leery of red lights, whatever the source...<g>

Walk Smartly -
Kurt
Ga>Me...ASAP (99 or 00) :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" - Thoreau