[at-l] Whisperlite, black flyz, etc.

I just got the chance to read a bunch of posts all at once, so i
apologize for combining threads and  not referencing the previous posts,
but such is life...

Whisperlite shaker jet:

I have the cheaper, less versatile version of the whisperlite (i.e. not
the internationale) which burns only white gas.  I used it all during
last summer's hike, and only had one problem with it.  In New Hampshire,
the generator tube cracked, meaning that when I lit the thing it spewed
flame and gas back toward the fuel bottle - yikes!  I happened to be
right near Lincoln, NH and Big Bird and others saved the day by sharing
stoves for a couple days.  Anyhow, I've never heard anyone else having
such a problem, so i think mine was just a freak sort of thing.

As for the pump unit coming off during pumping, I think MSR addressed
this problem successfully in the newer models.  Never had any trouble in
that regard.  I would wholeheartedly recommend the MSR stoves.

Black Flies:

I was up on Camel's Hump last weekend checking out to see if I needed to
do any maintenance on Gorham Lodge (I've recently started being the
"Shelter Adopter" up there).  At lower elevations, there were a few
bugs, but up high, at least in VT, the air is clear and bug-free - at
least this week;-)   As soon as all the snow's gone, they'll be back
with a vengeance.

Hasta la pasta,
Chris Merritt
"Keebler"