Re: [at-l] Earl Shaffer

At 08:58 AM 5/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Someone I know swears they saw something about Earl Shaffer on
>television recently (although they couldn't remember any of the
>details).  Does anyone know whether the media has gotten wind of
>Earl being on the Trail again?  --  Earthworm

Earl specifically asked his family and friends not to "announce" his hike
to the media, although there has been some mention here and there. I am
getting regular reports, but, again, Earl wanted to just start his hike and
see how it goes before making any public announcements that might attract
media attention. His brother is on top of things, and I am waiting for his
lead based on Earl's wishes before doing anything to keep you folks
informed. Maybe Earl will do an on-line journal eventually. I plan to talk
to him about this when he comes through Hot Springs.

I might add a personal note here. Many of us feel that this is "Earl's
year" on the AT, a chance for the AT community to show its admiration and
appreciation for his original thru-hike in 1948 and the fifty years of
dedicated service he has given since. I hope the two runners and their
support and promotional teams will refrain from seeking any publicity that
will distract from Earl and his hike. The media does not generally
understand thru-hiking, nor the AT, and it will be easier for them to focus
on a race (something that will inevitably develop with two announced
runners on the Trail) than on the more traditional thru-hike that Earl is
doing. In my opinion, that would be a tragedy for the AT, and for Earl.--WF