[at-l] Gear Head Post

Hi Gang,

I just got chastised off-list about one of my postings.  Oh well,
life is too short to chastise people.   The individual also
complained about the number of e-mails that he has to read.  Well I
down load over a hundred messages this morning and have read everyone
of them.  Keep the mail coming.  Now the the subj.  I should warn you
that sometimes I think that my trail name should be the Frugal Hiker
instead of Grey Owl :-)

Walking sticks, poles.

I have hiked for years without any aid, but the older I get the more
my knees hurt and the less stable I am.  Last year I borrowed a
hiking stick for a couple of hikes.  I was great, a big help in going
down hill and across rocks ( and to pick up trash I might add).  The
past couple of hikes I have used Joffa Bamboo cross country ski poles
(5').  I like the extra stability, but I do no like the fact that I
do not have a free hand.  I think that I will end up with a single 4'
bamboo ski pole.

Water Bottles

I drink a lot of water on the trail.  I easily dehydrate so I
consume around 4 litres of water a day.  It is a pain digging it out
of my pack so i have a tendency to go long periods without water
which spells trouble for me.  I was thinking about a bladder (i.e.
platypus type) but two of my friends have had problems (leak, air
blocks in hose).  I found the perfect solution a sports bottle with a
handle.  It holds 32 oz of water and I do not have to stop and dig it
out of my pack.  It makes it real easy for me to stay hydrated.

Tent/Tarp

I hike only when it is warm, i.e. mid-April to mid-October.  I use to
carry a tent, but found that it was a real pain to set-up and heavy.
I now use a plastic tarp (8' x 8') and I stay very dry underneath it.
I was shocked by the price of a nylon tarp (I said I was Frugal) and
am looking to Yogi a piece of Tyvek (10' x 10').

Weight

I hike with a relatively lite pack (except for three litres of
water), but I think I could do a lot better if I lost seventy pounds.
I know my legs would do a lot better (especially the knees).

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl

Keep sending that e-mail