[at-l] Is Roan Mtn. Safe?

Hi -
I've seen a sign like what you described, I think it was at Cherry Gap
shelter (north of Unaka Mtn).  It prob'ly oughtta be taken down, as the
hiker/locals conflict has settled down in the past several years.  The main
area in question is Buck Mtn/ Walnut Mtn., going north from 19E towards
Dennis Cove.  The worst I've ever experienced there is unchained
doggies...and their owner was quick to get them off me and help me back up
(just kidding).

I think you get treated as you treat others, so a respect for private
property and a general well-mannered approach to locals will go a long way.
 And use common sense: don't camp near a road.

Bryan
Mountain Dewer