Re: [at-l] Is Roan Mtn. Safe?

Here is what I heard (i.e. I can't be sure it's true) about that area
during my thru-hike last year:
In the 70's (I believe), when the trail followed a lot of roads in that
area, two women were followed into the woods and raped.  This caused the
local maintaining group to do an emergency relocation that has never been
fixed up, so the trail is not that great.  The Forest Service has used
eminent domain a couple of times, including once on one of the old
families in the area.  This did not go over well with the locals, some of
whom at some time burned down a shelter.  The tempers have cooled down a
lot, although there are still problems due to the USFS still trying to
finish the land purchases needed in the area.

What it means to somebody hiking there now: Not much.  The two biggest
concerns are that some of the locals still hold a grudge (one hikere I met
told me he was threatened while dining at a local restaurant) and one
doggy section.  Onw thru-hiker last year was bitten during the half mile
roadwalk in this area, where there are about 10 dogs loose and at least
another ten chained up (including the nastiest Rottweiler I've ever seen).
				Ryan
		Bacon Double Cheeseburger AT '97