[at-l] Sanitation (was: Water treatment)

At 08:23 AM 5/4/98 PDT, Tim Hewitt wrote:
>The single biggest problem, both in civilization and in the woods with food
>preparation is sanitation. If you don't wash between the toilet and the
table,
>you will eat what you poop. These pathogens will give you diarrhea. The food
>borne diseases such as salmonella and ecoli are all killed in the cooking
>process if you cook your food rather than just heat it, and most of us
>transport them back to the cooked food on the cooking surfaces that touched
>the raw food in the first place.

By the way, I had a very good experience using one of the clear, alcohol
gel, "hand sanitizers" for 11 days this April in the Gila National Forest.
I repackaged a small supply, and used it before meals and after taking a dump.

I don't know how effective the stuff is, but it has got to work better than
the kind of hand washing I can manage out in the field.

The only drawback to the stuff is that it does sting in cuts.

-- Jim Mayer