[at-l] [Fwd: BOUNCE at-l@saffron.hack.net: Non-member submission from [Chris Witzgall <cwitzgall@VERSATILITY.com>]]

Forwarded...

Ryan

-- BEGIN included message

From owner-at-l  Mon May  4 07:55:47 1998
From: Chris Witzgall <cwitzgall@VERSATILITY.com>
To: at-l@saffron.hack.net
Subject: re:flashlights and crushable canisters
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:58:12 -0400

I have used the Photon 11 white for about 5 weekend trips, and it is not
my only light source I carry. I am thinking about carrying a spare one.
It's rated at about 16 hours of batt life, and since I use it sparingly,
and don't hike at night with it, its been all I need. The light is
really bright, I can see my way to take care of business in the middle
of the night, read, etc. It is light enough that holding it in my mouth
seems to work for short periods of hands free use. i also clip it to my
jacket, and just let it hang down when using it while cooking, etc.
I have also been using Colemans Peak 1 Extreme stove for about 6 months,
and it's great. Once this winter I covered the canister with snow to see
how it would handle the cold, and it was fine. THe canisters crush when
empty, and you can ship them ground UPS with the appropriate labeling.
It is a very loud stove, though. Once I asked a group of hikers at a
picnic table I was sharing if it was alright if I started the jet engine
again, and then gave my flight safety speech...
Last month I tried the aluminum-can homemade alcohol stove (that
recently popped up on the list)out on an overnight. It worked, but I
forgot the windscreen, so it took about 20 minutes to barely boil a
litre of water. I also think that I didn't get the design just right, so
that might have been a factor in the long boil times.

Chris Witzgall
Warrenton, VA

-- END included message