Re: [at-l] cheese

At 10:37 PM 4/23/98 -0400, Clines wrote:
>... I think that the parmasan (sp?) that comes in
>the cans will last quite awhile unrefrigerated but my wife says otherwise.
>Not sure wheather thats considered real cheese though . Linburger maybe.
>Its already rancid :-).

The best cheeses for backpacking are the hard cured cheeses. These are
typically old, white, and are found hanging from a nail in your deli's
ceiling.
There is less water in it, hence less opportunity for it to rot or spoil. If
you eat it and only carry enough for your next restocking, you keep the
risk of
spoilage and the weight down.

This is the best way to keep cheese grits part of a balanced breakfast.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA