Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones (dejavu)

OK lets try this for the 5th time but with at-l(el) instead of a 1(one).  :-)

>Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 17:57:58 -0400
>To: AT LIST
>From: Clines <clines@cfw.com>
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones (dejavu)
>
>>Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 11:05:13 -0400
>>To: AT LIST
>>From: Clines <clines@cfw.com>
>>Subject: Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones (dejavu)
>>
>>>Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:12:46 -0400
>>>To: at-1@saffron.hack.net
>>>From: Clines <clines@cfw.com>
>>>Subject: Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones (dejavu)

years ago my mom asked where we we going to eat when a few of us set out to
do a few days on the AT in the SNP in Va. I told here there were McDOnalds
about every 10 miles or so. She believed me. Bless her heart she is so easy
to fool.

do alot of backpacking in the Wilderness areas in W. Va. No service thier.
As to them ruining a wilderness experience. How are they going to do that
if you keep it in your pack except in the case of an emergency ? Seems to
me that if your appendixs ruptures that sort of already ruins the
wilderness experience anyway. At least it would for me. Why die and not be
around for another wilderness experience. Some of us are a bit older then
our twenties. Well ok quit a bit older. It is reassuring to a spouse who
might worry to recieve a quik phone call at night telling them you reached
your camp site for the night. I believed someone already mentioned that.
Personally I think it is probably a good idea but certianly dont think it
is mandatory. The argument about ruining a wilderness experience just
doesnt hold water in my opinion. I agree that we assume certian risks in
activities. I've have been doing it since I was 13 years old. I am still
alive from 30 years of flying planes, Rock cimbing, caving, backpacking,
racing motor cycles, scuba diving etc, because I have taken every safty
precaution I could and when possible had contengency (sp?) plans for
emergencies all these years. The great pilot Chuck Yeager Has a saying he
repeats alot. His reference is in regard to flying but it applies to all
activities. "Always leave yourself an out". Heck. That wisdom has kept him
alive all these years. Must be something to it. :-). Take care !! and happy
hiking.

-- Daryl Cline
Web page: <http://www.cfw.com/~clines>
Outdoor pictures:  <http://www.cfw.com/~clines/outdoors>