Fw: [at-l] VACATION!!! Hike suggestions TN/NC???

> From: "Gary & Helene" <slash426@typhoon.co.jp>
> Anybody want to suggest a good hike with nice scenery, pretty well
> maintained, and not a crowd?
{snip}
>I figured with her it should be leisurely.... (I want her to be
> willing to go again :-) We'll be in G-burg for a couple days {snip}
>So I figured TN/NC should be good!

I would suggest the northern half of the Smokies. I think it is one of the most
beautiful sections of the southern AT, especially at this time of the year. Much of
the section is ridge-running, and since the foliage has not come in yet you have
tons of views. Charlie's Bunion is a bonus, and the hiking is not _too_ strenuous.
Plus, the trail is in much better condition on the northern half (no horses allowed)
and it is less crowded. If you decide on that, don't miss out on the side trail to
Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower. You could also hike the section from the northern end of
the Smokies to Hot Springs. I think it's about 30 miles and it isn't too difficult.
Highlights of that include Max's Patch. HTH! HAND!

-Rambleon-
rambleon@email.unc.edu