Re: [at-l] VACATION!!! Hike suggestions TN/NC???

At 02:15 AM 3/28/98 +0900, Gary & Helene wrote:
>...willing to go again :-) We'll be in G-burg for a couple days will probably
>drop by trailfest...(rut row...there goes the neighborhood...and get to meet
>some of you people face to face.... :))) So I figured TN/NC should be good!
>But know the Smokies are overused, The Natahala's are probably not a good
>first hike for her (maybe a little too remote and too isolated...) She's
>only been one night out without facilities.... (HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!)

Then Natahala's aren't all that remote and isolated, and do provide the
opportunity for several loops that work pretty well. The key thing is planning
the hike in. (I made a mistake last year and hiked up the Lower Creek Trail.
Straight up hill and little water sources after the first 90 minutes.) Once up
on the trail, it is fairly easy going, but some of the blue blazes can be a
mess.

I would bet she would enjoy the many vistas, especially on top of Standing
Indian. There are many excellent trails in NC and North Georgia that are
connected to the AT, as well as many trails in the Smokies away from the AT.

Happy Trails

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA