Re: [at-l] Poop feedback

WH HAWKINS wrote:

> Because of overuse of the AT within the GSMNP. Maybe it is time to
> require the
> use of poop tube's along the trails within the park. They are required
> while
> Big Wall Climbing within Yosemite NP.

   The reservation/permit system in the Smokies is already poorly
enforced.  I don't expect you'd be able to enforce this idea any better,
probably less.

Icewater is an exceptional location because of the huge dayhike traffic
out to Charlie's Bunion.  Also, the soil is quite thin at that location,
making the capacity of any dug privy quite limited.  I wouldn't develop
a park-wide policy based on experience in that single location.

I haven't been to Icewater since they closed it to non-thruhike
overnights.  Is it now open again?  Have they put in a composting
privy?  What's the current situation?

- Priest