Re: [at-l] sleeping bags

Well I guess I'll give my opinion on this one,too. I like down. Down is
lighter, more compressible and feels warmer to me. I have used down most
of the time for nearly 30 years and have had problems due to moisture
only twice. I find if I'm able to spread the bag on a bush during lunch
when it's picked up a little moisture it will dry rapidly. But remember a
wet down bag will dry very slowly. You have to be careful to keep your
bag dry, but no more careful than you would normal be with any bag. The
one major advantage with down is it's ability to maintain it's loft for
years. I have found that repeated stuffing of synthetic bags causes them
to rapidly lose their original loft. I have a down bag that's almost
thirty years old, it still has great loft and is quite useable. The
synthetic bags I have owned have lost nearly half their loft in 3-5
years. Cleaning a down bag is a little more trouble, but how often are
you going to clean it? A good hand washing in the bath tub, a day on the
clothes lines and careful air drying with a tennis ball in the dryer is
all it takes. In my opinion a good quality down bag will give you years
more use than the best synthetic.

woodelf