Re: [at-l] Poop feedback

>  We worked our way on to the next shelter
>  south where the spring comes out just under the lip out in "front" of the
>  shelter where the plateau drops off (don't remember the name of the
>  shelter...don't have any of my trail info with me).

The shelter is Double Springs Gap Shelter. I have the info in my head.

>  The parkies had put up a little sign designating the area as a "Leave No
>  Trace" waste-disposal area... apparently thinking that campers would dig
>  catholes or something.  What we found was big patches of TP blossoms...LOTS
>  of TP blossoms!  Not only was there plenty of little piles on both sides
>  and behind the shelter (pretty doggone close, too!), but ALL the "acres" of
>  deposits were laying out in the open all over the DIRECT watershed for the
>  spring!  Gagamaggot..!

The Smoky Mountain Mine fields. Is the problem, the lack of knowledge or is it
"this is the only time i'll be here, so the hell with it." attitude. I think
it may be both.

A sign that said "Leave No Trace", waste-disposal area. This can be confusing,
what are they trying to said, leave your waste here or take your waste with
you.

Having a toilet near the shelter, will not solve the problem, if they are NOT
maintained. The one at Ice Water Springs Shelter is a case in point. Everytime
I have been there it has been, full to overflowing. The problem is overuse and
lack of money for the proper maintenance.

Because of overuse of the AT within the GSMNP. Maybe it is time to require the
use of poop tube's along the trails within the park. They are required while
Big Wall Climbing within Yosemite NP.

Wildbill