Re: [at-l] All this poop and pee stuff..

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Sharpe <SSHARPE@WELLESLEY.EDU>
To: at-l@saffron.hack.net <at-l@saffron.hack.net>
Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 9:51 AM
Subject: [at-l] All this poop and pee stuff..

>Hi everybody...
>
>Haven't posted in a while, (at least nothing worthwhile ;) ) but I have
>always wondered how can our own little "deposits" in the wilderness be
>so much worse for the environment that those of the forest critters??

I'm like you Sharon, I can't help but beleive that we are talking about a
natural cycle here.
Here in the "civilized world" after all, we do recycle that same water that
we
dump waste in, do we not?

 "He who made Kittens, put snakes in the grass." Jethro Tull

With all the real Toxic concerns that we are producing and dumping in the
ground water
and air how can I be all that concerned about that which it seems God
intended. (insert your favorite
deity)

Of course the increase in activity on the trails may play a part in the
answer
to this question.

I am all for doing what I can to protect and preserve but frankly I can't
get that
romantic feeling about sitting around the old Coleman cook stove and singing
songs and roasting
marshmellows....
(and then of course packing them back up in the old PVC Poop canister for to
carry along
 for the days trek ahead......)

Consider this, if a thru-hiker plans to make the entire trek without
venturing into civilization,
rough task but I'm sure it has been done, just how much extra weight can he
figure to
haul along if were to "pack it all" out ? A weighty matter indeed.

I hate to join a list and get squashed like a bug right off the bat but
Hey......

It's the Cathole method fer me but hey,
I'm just a

Block Dog