Re: [at-l] Dehydrated meats

Applesauce works great.  As for Colemans mustard, it is just ground mustard
seed, minus the cider vinegar that gives it that zing.  I would think drying
prepared mustard would keep more of the flavor.

Frankly, I find (aside from jerky) I don't much like dried meat on hikes.  It
sorta loses its flavor to the point where it just isn't worth it.  I find
veggies taste so much better, I'd rather enjoy good food.

Some other things that dry just great include pineapple slices, strawberries,
tomatoes (can't live without them) and apples.  Dried lemon/lime slices are
also a hoot, adding a kind of unexpected zing.

I am going to try drying some of my favorite (canned) indian vegetarian
specialties.  I hope it works out because these dishes are sheer heaven!

Regards,

Mary