RE: [at-l] Questions, questions, questions....

CAREFUL, CAREFUL, CAREFUL!!  Plan ahead well, and try not to be on the
trail by yourself. If you must go alone, learn to use a gun. I've lost
two friends this way. unfortunately it's just not safe anymore.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but we must face reality. Also, get
a dog. A big dog. I have a white shepard (110 lbs) when someone comes
near my campsite, he growls real low in his throat. (It's pretty spooky,
and it has kept people away) Just be sensible, there are always other
women who want to do this, but don't want to go alone. As a matter of
fact, when you make your plans, e-mail me. I might do a portion with
you.

This brings up a good topic for discussion: "How do we stay connected to
the Earth and stay safe at the same time?" Has anyone heard of the "Take
Back The Trails" initiative? It was inspired by the two women who were
murdered just off the Appalachian Trail back in 1996. I would be
interested in any information about women's hiking/backpacking
networks??