Re: [at-l] Questions, questions, questions....

kristin pilotte wrote:

> Howdy, y'all!
> Still having problems with my pack, but oh well.  I'm going to take it to
> a local shop after the holiday rush is over.  So, in the mean time, I've
> got some more questions.
> 1.  I'm thinking about taking a semester or year off of school in either
> 1999 or 2000, to thru-hike the trail.  Anyone have experience doing this
> (taking time off school, I mean).?
> 2.  What is the average mileage that thru-hikers get?  I mean, 10 milesish
> a day?  I know that I can push hard when I section hike, as I've done a
> fair portion of the trail in sections, but those hikes NEVER last more
> than a week, tops, and I'm wondering how endurance changes with time.
> Perhpas a better question would be about average mileage per state...
> So, that's it for now.  I'm home on Xmas break, and will be at my AOL
> account, so if you could, CC: any reply you guys put out to my e-mail
> there, Viper7997@aol.com
> THANKS MUCHO IN ADVANCE!!!  =)  =)  =)  Have a great holiday season!!!
>
> -kristin  N3ZDF
> USSF 8
> "Now I see the secret of the makings of the best persons.  It is to grow
> in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth."  --Walt Whitman,
> Leaves of Grass
> http://members.aol.com/viper7997

1.) Do it Do it Do it.  I took off a semester between law school and
college, moved to South Lake Tahoe from Baltimore, skiied, hiked, drank
and was generally merry!  I look back and wish I had done more if that!
(something about kids and mortgages that makes you cherish those days!)
Not only that, but when I hire I believe that someone who has positive
life experiences (such as an AT thru hike) make for much better hires
and have the upper hand to those in the job pool with equal
qualifications.  Do it Do it Do it.

	Mountcharlie