RE: [at-l] Questions, questions, questions....

I couldn't disagree more on this one. A gun has no place on the trail.
Personal protection is a matter of common sense both on and off the trail.
The two women killed in '96 were not on the AT.  While there have been
murders on the AT, they are significantly less than and town with a similar
population. While I don't have an exact count, I'd guess they are less than
a half dozen in the last 50 years. And that's spread over a trail over 2000
miles in length with hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

If fear of the possible violence on the trail makes you feel the need to
carry a gun, I'd suggest finding some other trail or activity.

I'm not saying this just because I'm a male.  My wife has hiked thousand's
of miles on the trail and neither of us would have problems hiking alone.

Ronald Moak