Re: [at-l] coolmax

Rich,

I have several coolmax shirts and they work by wicking the moisture away so
it can evaporate, thus giving the cooling effect.  So the water evaporates,
leaving all the body salts, bacteria, whatever else is in sweat besides
water -- i.e., the smelly stuff -- behind.  Either on the shirt or on you!
I have been lucky with my shirts that they seem to wash up nice and
non-smelly once they've been through the laundry a few times, but I know
people who have to throw other brands of polypro shirts away after hiking
with them because they can't get rid of the smell.

So no it's probably not just you!

Happy thanksgiving!

Sharon

>Last summer I bought a coolmax shirt for hiking.  I thought about it this
>morning when I saw it in my closet and wonder if anyone else noticed the
>following phenomenon or is it just my body?
>
>It seems that it takes much longer than cotton for the shirt to get "ripe"
>but is seems that my body gets much "riper" than usual.  Is this normal?
>I know that the fabric does not absorb moisture and the accompanying smells
>but if it wicks moisture away, shouldn't the body odor be wicked away also?
>
>Happy trails,
>Rich

>*

Sharon Sharpe