Re: [at-l] Iodine allergy.

In a message dated 97-11-06 21:40:37 EST, viperkjp@wam.umd.edu writes:

<< I told them I was allergic to shellfish.
 They told me that this probably means I'm allergic to Iodine, and should
 avoid it when possible.  This includes using it to clean cuts and stuff.
 But, does this also apply to cleaning my water?   >>

Kristin, I think you should get competent medical advice about purifying your
water before you hike again.  Some filters, such as Pur Hiker, don't use
iodine; however, the Hiker has an updated model called Voyager (I think)
which does use the iodine.  An alternative might be chlorine bleach.  I
carried a small bottle of it for a few weeks when my filter wouldn't work and
I got worried about the constant use of iodine tablets.  I usually used 2
drops of bleach per liter of water.  I think I've heard that chlorine isn't
as effective on some kinds of nasties though.

You might try the internet to see what you can find on the subject, or look
for a doctor who is aware of the backpacking and hiking world (Isn't there an
MD on this list?).   My doctor wasn't aware of the AT and almost got
hysterical when I told her I was going to hike with my dog and not another
person.

Gypsy