[at-l] Re Handicap Access

Hi All,

I have carefully put on my flame proof long johns.  Give me your best
shot.  When I went to school I learned that the majority rules and
that compromise and negotiation were very important is writing and
passing legislation.  Somewhere along the way minorities have been
getting bigger and bigger 'rights' while making life difficult for the
majority (i.e. me, a white middle age mail who is the root of all evil
in the world).

I have a good friend who was wounded in Vietnam.  He is paralyzed from
the waist down and is more or less confined to a wheel chair.  He does
occasionally use crutches, especially when he knows that it will make
people feel uncomfortable.  He does not have a handicap sticker and
refuses to use a handicap parking space.  He says he is not
handicapped, he just cannot use his legs.  He is a cripple.  He would
use a crippled parking space (just what is a crippled parking space?)
is they were available.  Obviously he is not politically correct.
Despite his 'condition' he still camps, goes canoeing, and is one heck
of a fisherman.  He also goes to many of the scenic overlooks and has
traveled a few portions of trails that are 'handicap' accessible.

This past weekend I did a short hike from Furnace Gap to Lehigh Gap on
the AT.  The first 4 miles are pretty easy with few rocks, though the
trail is narrow.  The last mile is down hill and fairly step with
plenty of rocks.  There is no way that a horse or any pack animal
could negotiate that trail.  To make the trail handicap accessible
would require a lot of work and money.  That money could be better
spent replacing older shelters etc.

I should state the opions expressed are my own and not that of the US
government (thought they are trying to gut affirmative action).

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl
rdudley@arserrc.gov