Re: [at-l] Re: Dumb Question

 FrankLogue@aol.com wrote:

> For many years, Ed Garvey campaigned to have offset blazing (that is putting
> the top blaze to either the left or right of the bottom blaze to indicate the
> direction of the turn). Many maintainers favored this approach while others
> protested it was impractical. After all there are many times (on switchbacks
> for example) when a single tree has a blaze that can be seen by both
> northbound and southbound hikers. How would you offset the blaze in a case
> like this?

The Buckeye Trail in Ohio has used the offset double blaze for many
years.  When I first saw it I thought it unusual, but came to like
the idea. As a matter of fact, I just painted 4 new ones today!  I'm
glad to hear the AT is now using it in areas.

I've found only one drawback...I have occasionally seen one where
the offset went the wrong way!  Then you're standing there staring
off the wrong direction looking for that next blaze :).

Steve
smiller1@fuse.net