[at-l] Re: lighters

I wrote:
>The flint lasts far longer than the fuel supply.  An empty lighter is
>still good for igniting gasoline or butane... Ultralightists could cut off
>and discard most of the empty fuel tank, leaving a thin handle so that the
>device can still be operated with one hand (else glue it onto the remnants
>of a toothbrush handle :-).

I tried sawing off the empty fuel tank of a disposable butane lighter.  It
still works one-handed, with difficulty; fingers are closer to the fire.  I
then tried discarding other parts; it fell apart when I removed the metal
flame-shield, which holds the flintwheel in place.

None of my modifications were worthwhile except for breaking off two metal
tabs around the flame hole to make it larger (not all lighters have those
tabs).

--  Frank      reid@indiana.edu