[at-l] 2000cc Backpack

Hi Kahley,
I use a North Face Exocet 2000cc backpack and find it suits all my needs.
By the way Campmor has them on sale for $59.00.  North Face is coming out
with a different version hence the sale.
The method I use is to attach to the exterior:
All items are stored in a waterproof stow bags except Z-rest
Z-rest sleeping pad to the daisy loops with two web belts
Bibler bivy and ground tarp with two web belts to side compression straps
Western Moutaineering Aspen dryloft 20 degree bag to other side compression
straps with two web belts
42" umbrella stored under compression straps
In cold weather my EMS Polartec jacket to either side compression straps
In the two webbed side pockets I store my homemade stove and bottle of
denatured alcohol I use for coffee in the morning and night.  On the other
side I store a zip lock bag of trail mix or some sort of snack food.
In the two zippered tube sleeves I store my maps, cigarettes,data
information, one pair polester socks, paper and pens.
I attach two bandannas one to each shoulder straps.  One for my nose and the
other to wipe my face and keep my glasses cleaner.
During each break I change one pair of socks for another hanging the one I
just took off on the back of the pack to dry or just air out.
This pack is a top loading and has a fairly large zippered top section.
Inside top section within zip-lock bags I store my first aid kit, 50'
1000lbs line, compass, fox whistle, keys, two extra AAA batteries, AAA
mag-light, emergency space blanket, 1 pair of polester socks, balaclava(if
cold enough, hygiene kit, spare bic lighter, two packs of matches, bandanna,
eye glass case and some sort of snack food.
If the weather is threatening rain or snow I lay my Patagonia Gore-tex rain
jacket and pants between the top section of my pack and the lower section.
In the main compartment within a garbage bag I have my food bag with spoon
and titanium cup, my 2.5 liter Platypus hydration system, Pur-hiker water
filter, 1 capilene tee shirt, 1 polyester walking shorts, 1 pair mid-weight
capilene socks used as mittens and socks in sleeping bag, at times my
sleeping bag depending on amount carried, at times my polartec jacket
depending on amount carried, capilene long john pants and shirt depending on
weather, nylon jacket and pants depending on weather, Campmor backpacker
poncho carried at times in lieu of gore-tex rain gear and one badanna.
With this system nothing is hanging in a manner to be affected by blowdowns,
I have a very low center for my pack and all gear attached.  I don't have to
bend over and worry about items protruding above my shoulders.  This pack
has a padded hipbelt and the two shoulder straps have adjustment straps.  It
rides very well with my pack weight including food and water varing from 19
to 25 pounds for a three day trip, depending on the weather conditions.
The padded hipbelt works very well and due to the light load my shoulders
don't bother me at all.  I usually tighten the hipbelt and loosen the
shoulder straps so most of the weight is borne on the hips.  During a full
day of hiking I find myself adjusting the hipbelt and shoulder straps for a
change in pace.  At the end of the day my shoulders are fine with no ill
effects from the day.  I usually take a 15 minute break every two hours.  So
my shoulders get a rest at these times  during the day.
Hot and sweaty I can identify with that feeling.  My choice is to carry the
lightest pack that is comfortable and carries all the gear I really need.
Good Luck on what type of pack you get.
Take care,
John O

                                       John O
                             E-mail johno@mail.monmouth
                                  Brick, New Jersey
                       90 miles southeast of Delaware Water Gap
 1357 miles northeast of Springer Mountain   1083 miles southeast of Mount
Katahdin