[at-l] Re: Solophiles Journals

While reading Rachel's Journal entry I had a few thoughts (wow) of my
on.

        It was real neat to read. But then it makes me sad because I
ain't
the one out there thru-hiking.
    The 250 or so miles from Delaware Water Gap, to South Egremont, MA
made up a great spring for me in 1997. Mention of the Lemon  Squeezer
made
me dig up my pictures of the same. I guess Ill put them on the  internet
some
day for others to enjoy.
        I can understand Rachel wanting to hike alone a while. There is
nothing like the experience of being alone in the great woods. Good
company is great to share an experience and has its rewards too. But
when
you are alone you get the full experience, face that bear alone
and you have a more intense experience. If you face that bear with your
partner then you each share the experience 50-50. Alone you get 100% of
it.
This seems to also apply to the smaller experience of the day. Figuring
out
where the trail is in a poorly marked blow down. Just the everyday
experiences
like the  smell of wild flowers is more noticeable without the partial
distraction
of your senses needed when communicating with a partner.
        Hiking with a partner also has its rewards. Some of my best
hikes
have been ones my brother and I made together. Getting the benefit of
anothers
knowledge can really intensify the experience. Woodelf's  knowledge of
the
woods from surveying and naming of wildflowers and other plants,
combined
with his years of hiking can really add to the enjoyment of a hike. I
believe
on a thru-hike of  b5 or 6 months I would need a healthy combination of
both
experience's
    I just read Kathy's notice about the trail closing in PA. Its neat
the memorys
that are brought back from  the mention of an area. When Woodelf and I
hiked
the closed section mentioned the A-10's were playing war games. You
could see
them fly overhead and dive out of site into the valley below. Then the
whole
mountain would echo with the sound of their 20 mm cannons fireing at 6,
000
rounds per minuet. Vaaaroooooom, they fire so fast they sound like a fog
horn
instead of individual shots. The next day I could hear them from 8 or 10
miles away.
I really enjoyed the experience.

chase

ATC, AT-L, ALDHA, NBATC, RATC,  APRS,  NRA, OTHER STUFF, ETC
www.neocomm.net/~cdavidso
wb4pan@wb4qoj.va.usa.noam