[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #347

Hi Gypsy,
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts they are much appreciated.
I tried using a homemade stove last couple of weekend trips and was really
happy with results.  Coffee in the am is really nice.  I was thinking by
using your sierra cup you could boil water and use that for grits as well as
coffee for breakfast?  Make the grits first and have your dog or you lick it
clean and then it's coffee time.  With the stove I use less than an ounce of
denatured alcohol to heat up a cup of water in my sierra cup.  Michael
Connick used this stove while we're hiking and I tried it an enjoy the results.
All you need is a small empty can of tuna fish the single serving size and a
empty can from dingy moore stew or similiar size.  Cut the top and bottom
from the can and drill holes around can.  Pour small amount of denatured
alcohol in tuna can light it and place larger can over it. Oh I forgot cut a
small piece of coat hanger in a v-shape.  Larger than the opening to lay
across opening of larger can and place your sierra cup on top.  About 5
minutes later you have a cup of boiling water.  I carry the denatured
alcohol in a plastic container with screw on cap, it holds about 5 ounces of
fuel.  If you cover top of cup with a small piece of aluminium foil the
water boils quicker and also maintains it warmth while your doing something
else. I've also heated a quart of water to a boil using the same system.  It
took a little more fuel to boil with than the cup.
My neighbors must think I'm a little strange heating water in my backyard.
I would rather try out all these new systems there and work out any
difficulities
then try them on a hike.  I also use my backyard to test out shelters and
sleeping bags.  This way I can test them in all types of weather conditions
and have the safety of my home to retreat if they fail.  You can't do that
on the trail, thats for sure.
Once I empty another dinky moore stew can I cut it down by a 1/3 and see
what the results are that way.  No to save weight as were only talking 2
ounces to begin with, just to experiment with a different method.
With what you and others have endured on your long distance journeys it is
very true when you said, "I can convince myself of anything if I make up my
mind to".
Take care,
John O
>I am really intrigued with the concept of hiking ultra-light, and thank you
>for sharing some of the things you're doing.  As for cold meals, I can say I
>really loved eating hot food while on my hike, especially breakfast.  I would
>sometimes wake up in the middle of the night thinking about breakfast!  I
>always had 2-4 packs of instant grits as well as coffee.  And in the evening
>I always cooked a Lipton's dinner or something similar and enjoyed a cup or
>two of hot chocolate.  A few times I fixed Ramen noodles for lunch, but that
>was rare - I usually didn't want to bother with the clean up at lunch break,
>and I only did it a couple of times when I was cold and felt a true need for
>something hot.  I can honestly say that leaving my stove and fuel at home
>would be the final pack-lightening move I would make.  I feel that it is a
>mental thing though, and I can convince myself of anything if I make up my
>mind to.
>
>John O, you have a wonderful attitude and open mind.
>
>Gypsy
               John O   E-mail johno@mail.monmouth
                        Brick, New Jersey
60 miles north of Atlantic City   60 miles south of New York City