[at-l] re: ultralight pack - kelty white cloud

jeff wrote:

>>>   is the url for the smaller of kelty's lightweight internal frame packs,
the cloth is spectra, a very light very strong fabric (I saw one
once and if I recall it felt like a thick tyvek (sp?)), that is used in
some climbing slings b/c it is very strong for the weight.

They are larger in capacity (reg: 3655-4050) than most ultralight hikers
want to go, they were mainly designed for mountaineering, and
comparatively light, I suppose (reg: 3lb 1 oz)
It might be something to think about if you want a compromise.   <<<

Jus' John in 92 had this pack, and i was very impressed.  extremely strong
lightweight fabric, basic no-frills construction, lots of tie down points.
john was a lightweight advocate, but not ultralight - he insisted on
carrying his three person, 8lb kelty windfoil.  still, he never carried
more than 35lbs fully loaded, and fit everything INSIDE his pack.  he loved
that pack.

mike
ke kaahawe