Re: [at-l] In Need of A Story

> I welcome any and all stories about the coldest night -- or day, for that
> matter -- spent on the AT.

2 spring to mind:

1. Janurary 2, 1994 Laurel Creek Shelter.  After a nice 50 degree day, my
friend and I settled down in our bags at Larel Creek Shelter off of 42 in VA.
He'd done his first 15 mile day, so didn't bother cleaning the dishes after
supper.  At about 11:00 is tarted to rain.  No big deal, just make the the
trail muddy tomorrow I thought.  When morning came I realized that I'd drawn
my hood as tight as it would go in the night, so not even my nose was sticking
out.  As I undid the clasp, I thought, "What the hell is Mike shining his
flashlight in my eyes for?"  Then as I opened the bag all of the way, I
realized that it snowed that night.  There was about 4 inches of snow on
EVERYTHING.  Since we didn't sleep water, fuel, or water filters, it was a
grumpy breakfast to say the least.

2.  Januray 1995.  Fulhardt Knob Shelter, North of Daleville, VA.  We hiked
in that day with temps in the 30s, no big deal.  Then as soon as the sun went
down, it sucked all of the ambient heat out of the air it felt like.  I
remember making hot chocolate, spilling a alittle on the table, and watching
it freeze before my eyes.  That was weird.  When we bedded down, my thermometer
read 12 degrees and it was 11:00 that night.  I knew it got colder.  Mike
grabbed the shelter wall that most protected him from the wind, so I was
exposed to Jack Frost.  I ended up wrapping my bag inside of the tarp I
carried to keep the wind off of me.  It worked like a charm and I slept
nice and warm in single digit temps with my 20 degree bag.  Then in the
morning, as I moved around, I shook all of the ice that formed when my
perspiration/breath froze onto the tarp.  It fell in my bag and gave me
quite the wake up call!!

No frozen carrotts though, sorry.

--
S. Schuyler Stultz              Recognition Research Inc.
schuyler@rrinc.com              1872 Pratt Drive Suite 1200