Re: [at-l] In Need of A Story

At 18:51 7/15/97 -0400, Lynn Setzer wrote:
>Anybody out there have a story (tall tale, perhaps?) to share about the
>coldest night on the AT?

1) Mt Rogers area in lat November.  About six inches of snow, and my first
experience with frozen water bottles and boots.  A few days of this
weather, and I walked into Damascus with the flu.  I spent a week
recuperating in the house of a VERY kind Damascus resident.

2) Down to about 10 degrees with about five inches of snow on the ground
going through the Smokies.  The snow was covering a nice layer of ice, and
I spent three days hiking without even seeing the tracks of anyone else.
In retrospect, that was probably not a very wise thing.

3) Down into single digits (with my 20 degree bag) on December 19th, the
night before reaching Springer.  Like everyone, there was still a
bittersweet feeling of leaving the AT.  This picture was taken on the
morning of the 20th:  http://www.weye.com/~stacy/beard.gif
Yes, that's ice in the beard.

Stacy