Re: [at-l] new toy

E. George Oeser wrote:

> >Anyone have any accolades/horror stories about the Micro?  It was only
> >$28.00 at REI's clearence sale.  Of course I don't know what the normal
> >price is...

I've read that they're not as water resistant as similar headlamps in
that
class. Otherwise, I've heard good things about them. I considered
getting
one myself once, but instead opted for the Zoom because I wanted
something
a bit more serious for night hiking.

> I have a micro and it has always worked fine for me, I have had it for
> about 2 years and am still on the original bulb. One hint I would give you
> is to replace the alkaline batteries with lithium batteries. They do cost a
> little more, but they last at least twice as long and weigh less than half
> as much, well worth the extra money to me.

As a recent convert to lightweight backpacking, I've had to seriously
reconsider keeping the Zoom in my bag. Over half of its weight is in
the big honking 4.5v battery, which brings the total up to 13 ounces.
Does anyone know whether flat 4.5v batteries are available in lithium?

I suppose another option would be to use the 3 AA battery adaptor. If
lithiums have indeed twice the longevity, they'd match that of the 4.5v
alkaline (17 hours) while eliminating 5 ounces of so of weight.

--
mfuller@somtel.com, Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt. }>:-/> --->